More information for Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Audioholics 2010 "Product of the Year" awarded to the Aperion Verus Grand Speakers!
Take the novel sonic design and classic cabinetry of our Verus Grand Tower speaker, then condense them to produce a bookshelf speaker that knocks your socks off. Now that you're barefoot, you might as well sit back and let your ears and eyes delight in the Verus Grand Bookshelf.
This speaker uses our patent-pending ASR tweeter to bring in the high frequencies, and our brand new 5" mid-range driver with aluminum phase plug to round out the sound. With gorgeous curved cabinets—finished in either gloss cherry wood veneer or gloss piano black—the Verus Grand Bookshelf is sure to swivel heads for both its stunning sound and looks.
Perfect for use as front speakers in a small home theater or as surround speakers in a larger home entertainment center, the Verus Grand Bookshelf will bring your music, movies and games to life. And if you're worried about your socks, we'll throw in a pair.
- 1-inch Aperion Axially Stabilized Radiator™ silk dome tweeter
- One 5-inch woven Kevlar® mid-range driver with aluminum phase plug
- 2-way bass reflex design
- 5-way gold-plated binding posts
- Furniture-grade gloss cherry wood veneer or gloss piano black finish
- Beautiful curved cabinet with compound angles and internal bracing
- Acoustically transparent, magnetically held, cloth-covered metal grille
- Ten year warranty
- FREE SHIPPING - a $33 value per pair*
- FREE lifetime technical support
*Free shipping value is based on ground shipping costs from Portland, OR to New York, NY. Individual rates vary.
Customer Reviews For Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Pair
- All Around Performer Josh
- I've had the VGBs for about two weeks now and I am happier with my purchase every day. I currently have these set up as my main fronts in 2.0 and 7.1 setups. They are pushed with a Denon 4311ci and paired with a HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer for stereo music. Aperion wasn't kidding when they said their speakers sound great out of the box. And the Cherry finish looks like a finish you should have to pay twice as much for. The first few days I played some FLAC files of Adele and Mumford & Sons and was astonished by the smooth clarity exuded by the VGBs. I currently have the crossed over at 60hz which seems to be a great sweet spot given my setup and they mesh really well at this point with the subwoofer. My living room is 18x22 with a vaulted ceiling and an open loft. The VGBs have no problem filling the entire space with great sound. They have performed really well matched with the VGC during movies as well. After I purchase some VGTs, my Verus Grand lineup will be complete and I feel I will not need to upgrade for a very long time. Thanks Aperion!
- Hearing Is Believing David A.
- I received my Verus speakers (a 5.1 system) on January 24, 2011. They were installed on January 26. First, the Aperion customer service I experienced was outstanding. That is to say, it was really outstanding. I do not have the expertise to evaluate the speakers on the basis of electronic and mechanical testing and measurement. However, based on my auditory perceptions, the entire Verus line of speakers produces the truest, clearest and most uncolored sound reproduction I have heard. I have a CD that is a remaster of a 50 year old recording of Beethoven's 9th. The sound quality created by the speakers is literally equal to being in the concert hall. My perception is that the clarity and purity of the sound created by the Verus speakers is at least the auditory equivalent Waterford Crystal. Every speaker in the set performs exquisitely. Hearing is believing.
- Natural Sound Michael C.
- I hooked my two verus grand bookselves to my new Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver in the bi-amp configuration for my home theatre/stereo system. These speakers are small but the sound is full, clear, even when I turn up the volume. The bass is surprisingly deep and clean. I don't have a subwoofer or center speaker yet but for now I am more than satisfied with this set up. I'll be adding a subwoofer next for the LFE but the bass as is certainly adequate as is. The speakers sound even fuller now that I've had them for a month just as advertised. Dialog is distinct whether watching the news or a DVD. The fact that the nice piano black finish meets the WAF (Wife approval factor) and matches my Samsung TV is an extra bonus.
- Verus bookshelf speakers for fairly small music only space. Andrew T.
- So I've had the Verus bookshelf speakers hooked up to a new, but modest Denon receiver, 75 watts out to stereo speakers for the last two months. Music only.
First, I have to say I was worried the modest receiver wouldn't have enough power. But there has been no signs of clipping or harshness in any of the music I've played. Maybe, if I hooked them up to a more powerful amp I might notice an improvement.
But I've got a feeling it wouldn't be much of an improvement because what I'm hearing presently is a whole lot of beautiful music coming at me. And as is the case with all accurate and able speakers, the well recorded music sounds superb, but poorly recorded music is glaringly revealed as well. So I don't play the crappy sounding stuff, just as I only watch high-definition tv now.
I recall one professional reviewer and one user suggested something similar to the idea that there was "less air" between the individual instruments and voices. I just don't hear what they heard. I hear the individual instruments across a wide soundstage.
I've come to love these Verus bookshelf speakers. I was hoping these speakers would give me a level of sonic pleasure that would be a notch above the Paradigm monitor speakers that still capably perform in my home theatre.
The Aperions have given me what I wanted. They deliver a beautiful sound playing music. I highly recommend them.
- Jaw-dropping Robert P.
- I read this term in expert and user reviews all the time, but it had never happened to me until I played the Verus Grand Bookshelf Speakers for the first time. I was shocked that such sound (and bass!) could come out of such small speakers. They hold their own against top-brand tower speakers that cost twice as much - I know because I tried a few of them.
- Grand Bookshelf Speakers are a Great Value! Victress W.
- We purchased these speakers to go with our Verus Grand Center Channel Speaker and Grand Towers and the sound was out of this world. We listened to them in person before we purchased them, and they did not disappoint! We rate this speaker system best in show!
- Great Value Andrew I.
- My Verus Grand Bookshelves arrived a couple weeks ago and I have been quite pleased at both the quality of the sound (great midrange) and the packaging/care they arrived in. I think at this point the quality of the sound of these speakers has been established and I don't have much to add there. I am extremely pleased.
The grilles on the front of the bookshelves don\'t fit great (they fit perfectly on the VGC). On the bookshelves once I got the grilles off (difficult!) I had a very difficult time getting them back on. I called customer service and they advised that I very slightly bend the metal to fit better. While this worked in making them "fit" it means they aren't flush with the speaker front anymore like I think they are designed to be. The quality control on the grill (not the rest of the speaker) seems to be a little off.
Second, in all the documentation it keeps referring to "see your speaker manual" for crossover settings for this speaker. There were none in the manual and I've had a very difficult time finding them online as well. SVS (where I got my sub) tells me that the crossover for the VGB is 100hz, but I can't find it on the aperion site anywhere.
Overall great sounding speakers, particularly for the size, with a couple small cosmetic/detail things lacking.
- Amazing speaker Azrulers
- I recently purchased the Intimus 5b and 5c for my stereo and surround sound. They sounded good, but I think the experienced sparked my inner audiophile, and I wanted more. Aperion customer service is fantastic and as advertised, they paid to ship my speakers back to the company, and then sent me the Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers with the matching center speaker. This was a significant improvement, and along with my existing sub woofer, all I can say is wow! In the stereo mode, I listen to a wide variety of music and I am very much satisfied with the clarity, sound stage, and smoothness. My subwoofer fills in nicely, and you would think I have a beautiful set of towers if you close your eyes. In the movie mode, the center channel is very clear, and the speakers work wonderfully in unison. I have a pair of Aperion wireless Zona speakers for the rear channel, and all together this is a great system. Just do it!
- Does The Job Well Scott A.
I am very impressed with these bookshelf speakers. Previously, I had tried out the Verus Forte Bookshelf speakers in my room and subsequently wrote a review about that pair. In my mind, there were a few shortcomings with the Forte bookshelves used as front left and right speakers. The Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers fix all of those issues and deliver a truly wonderful listening experience!
Currently, I'm running a pair of these speakers as my main left and right speakers in my living room. I have them paired with a HSU VTF-15H subwoofer for the low end (crossed over at 80hz) and these are mated to a Marantz 6005 receiver. My listening area is about 13ft by 13ft, but the room is about 21 feet long by 13 feet wide. I've also had/have the Verus Forte Center and Verus Grand Center hooked up with these speakers, but this review will focus solely on the performance of the VGBs mated with the VTF-15H. I did spend quite a bit of time listening to just the VGBs and sub before I added a center to my system.
These speakers do a good job at filling the room with sound. That was one of the shortcomings of the VFBs in my size room and the VGBs fix the issue entirely. They sounded as if a wall of sound was coming right at me!
As far as imaging goes, these speakers do a great job! Vocals come from dead center, while the various instruments are distributed along the width of the soundstage. It was very interesting to hear how instruments seemed to be located halfway between one of the speakers and the center of the room. It really made for a natural sounding and engaging experience! I found the same to be true with movies as well. The dialogue came through very clearly from the center and as things panned across the screen the various sounds seamlessly panned across the soundstage.
Sound quality, detail, and clarity are all amazing with these speakers. I don't have much experience with many high end speakers, but it would be hard to not be impressed with these speakers. Voices sound natural, instruments are clear and distinct, I never noticed any instrument congestion in any of the songs I listened to. Everything came through very clearly and took its proper place in the soundstage.
As a final note to my listening impressions, I will add that I do not come from a musical background and can't play any instruments to save my life. So I had a couple friends come over that have majored in music and play a variety of instruments to get their impressions on how these speakers sounded and if they presented accurate sound according to what they have had experience with. All of them left the listening session astounded at the clarity, detail, musical accuracy, and overall listening experience that these speakers provided.
If you are looking for a competent speaker for music and movies that does what it is supposed to do, then the Verus Grand Bookshelf is for you. While they don't dig very deep, pair these speakers with a competent subwoofer and you'll have a system that really sounds superb. While my review of the Verus Forte Bookshelves contained thoughts on some room for improvement, I really have no such comments for the VGBs. They fill the room, sound great, image very well, and are built to last. You can't go wrong with a pair of VGBs!
- LOVE my VGBs!! Metatype
- I've owned a pair of the Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers since they first came out. They're mounted on the stands from Aperion and I drive them with an Onkyo amp. The look is high class and the sound is a match. After going on vacation and watching TV on crappy TV speakers it's fun to come home and get shocked by how good these speakers really are again. I listen to a lot of varieties of music. IMO, I think these shine best at moderate volume levels on tracks where detail is important. Hearing a guitar strum on these speakers is really good!
- Solid speakers for a fair price Warren F.
- Shopped around and these were recommended at a number of sites. I'm a big fan of the 30 day demo, and I was sold on these on the first day.
I demoed a few other systems and stopped by a few brick and mortars, but neither sound nor service was matched in this price range.
I'm running these with a Denon 891 receiver along with a HSU VTF 1. Very happy with the setup, and when I'm ready to upgrade I will certainly be coming back here for a demo!
Pro Reviews For Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Pair
- Stereophile Reviews the Verus Grand Bookshelf
- "By the time I'd finished my final listening session, the little Verus Grand may have impressed me more than any other bookshelf model I've reviewed. Prospective purchasers of the Verus Grand may find other bookshelf models that shine in one area or another, but I doubt they'll find one whose strengths are so well balanced across the board, and whose flaws are as virtually nonexistent as the Aperion's. I don't think any reader of Stereophile will dislike this speaker. That is a crowning achievement."
--Robert J. Reina, Stereophile
Read Full Review
- Tone Audio Reviews the Verus Grand Bookshelf
- "To Aperion’s credit, the company makes quality the priority. . . with the music
clear and enveloping. The Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers [are] an easy choice for an in-home audition."
--Mark Marcantonio, Tone Audio
Read Full Review on Page 52
- CNET'S Audiophiliac Reviews the Verus Grand Bookshelf
- "The sound was clear and very pure, , , the stereo soundstage was broad and wide open; the Grands' refined sound is aimed at a more "audiophile" buyer than the other Aperion speakers. Aperion Intimus speakers' satin real cherry wood or high-gloss black finishes are superb, but the Verus' gloss cherry is even better. The review samples' finish is on par with what I'd expect to see on speakers that sell for at least double the price."
--Steve Guttenberg, The Audiophiliac for CNET
Read Full Review
- Audioholics 2010 Product of the Year Award Bestowed upon Aperion Verus Grand Speakers
- "Although 2010 was kind of a grim year economically for most of us, the A/V world belted out high value products improving on last year predecessors at little to no cost added? Loudspeaker companies have also raised the bar by creating a more audiophile focus on their products. Aperion Audio's new Verus line is a shining example of this."
"We've been hoping, and suggesting that Aperion Audio unveil a speaker line with higher audiophile aspirations. We knew they could do it, especially considering their existing lineup consists of quality crafted high performance products. Their new Verus line takes it to the next level however. Their specially designed tweeter is designed to play down much lower than most conventional dome designs with exceptional power handling. This allows the system to be crossed over at a lower frequency which improves off axis response by reducing beaming effects of the larger mid drivers as wavelengths become shorter than the cone diameter. We currently have their entire new Verus 5.0 system in for review and are finding it to sound exceptionally good with ample output capability, stunningly great imaging and lack of compression when really cranking it up loud. This is truly a great speaker line regardless of price, typically only found at brick and mortar stores but at internet direct pricing. Fit and finish are excellent and they just scream high end."
- Gene DellaSala, Audioholics.com, December 2010
See Full List of Awards
- Audioholics' Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker System Review
- Performance Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Value Rating: 5 out of 5
"At just over $3k for a 5.0 system and an extra grand for a the Bravus II 12D sub, the Aperion Audio Verus Grand speakers are not an impulse buy. But they're not meant to be. Aperion has attempted to put together the very best speakers they can for the least amount of money. I have to say, unequivocally, they've succeeded. The Verus Grand Towers image as good if not better than any speaker I've ever experienced (sans electrostats). The Verus Grand Center is a joy to experience and makes a huge difference with listening to multichannel content. Our in-room and manufacturers measurements of the speakers are remarkably similar showing that not only has Aperion created a speaker that can measure well in a lab, but can do so in a real world environment. With Aperion's free shipping and 30 day in home audition with free return shipping if you don't like them, well, you've really got nothing to lose. Except for $3k because there is no way you're sending these back."
"The Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System has redefined, for me, value in high end, which is why they earned the Audioholics coveted 2010 Product of the Year Award. These are the speakers to beat and will likely send many of their competitors back to the drawing boards, or in their cases, their engineering sound labs. Highly Recommended!"
- Tom Andry, Audioholics.com, January 2011
- Home Theater Review Evaluates the Verus Grand Bookshelf
- Performance: Four out of Five Stars
Value: Four and a Half out of Five Stars
Overall Rating: Four and a Half out of Five Stars
"For just under $600 a pair and sold direct via their own website, the Aperion Audio Grand Verus Bookshelf loudspeakers are an absolute delight for they have a finish indicative of Revel Salon2s with a sound equal in tone and musicality to their costlier siblings, the Verus Grand Towers. While they need a subwoofer or two to go full-range and require stands to sound their best, the Grand Verus Bookshelf loudspeakers are still a value leader and among the best in their class."
- Andrew Robinson, hometheaterreview.com, July 2011
Read Full Review
- Audioholics Review of the Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker
Furniture grade finish
Limited bass output
Raises the bar too high for the competition
"The Aperion Verus speakers were able to literally disappear leaving you with nothing but the music to get carried away in. These speakers performance per dollar ratio is so good that I fear Aperion has raised the bar too high for its competition. These aren't just speakers, they are pieces of furniture that sound good. Considering their very liberal return policy, FREE 30 day home trial program and FREE shipping (both ways) I can't say anything else other than 'highly recommended!'"
- Gene DellaSala, Audioholics, August 2011
Read Full Review
- Soundstage.com gives the Verus Grand Bookshelf their Reviewer's Choice Award!
- "As the first bookshelf model I've reviewed in I don't know how long, Aperion Audio's Verus Grand Bookshelf reminded me that great things can still come in small packages. The Bookshelf isn't just a fine-sounding speaker, it's a refined-sounding speaker that doesn't offer only a glimpse of high-end performance -- it'll take you on a full tour and give you a T-shirt at the end. With a beguiling tweeter and a clean, overachieving midrange-woofer, the Verus Grand Bookshelf proves that its name is no oxymoron. It's a speaker well worth an audition and its asking price. And it looks fabulous."
- Colin Smith, Soundstage Network, September 2011
Read Full Review
New One-inch Aperion Axially Stabilized Radiator
We engineered the new silk dome ASR to handle frequencies beneath most tweeters. Now the mid-high frequencies emit the same crystalline tones as their counterparts in the penthouse. From the pluck of a violin string to the screech of tires, the result is pure, authentic sound.
5" Kevlar Midrange Driver with Aluminum Phase Plug
One mid-range driver with aluminum phase plug increases the Verus line’s power handling and dynamic range, filling the middle of the sonic spectrum. By recreating the full harmonics of a singer’s voice, the Verus Grand speakers produce vocals as rich as the Rockefellers.
The slim curves of the Verus line’s first-rate cabinetry make us think "supermodel"—but the primo acoustic qualities means she'd have to sound as good as she looks. The finishing touch for every Verus speaker is a high-gloss cherry-wood veneer or piano-black lacquer that’s so right for every décor, your coffee table will be jealous.
5-way gold-plated binding posts
Bi-ampable is the techie way of saying you can connect one amplifier to the woofer and the other to the combined mid and tweeter. Separating the low- and high-frequency wiring helps eliminate interaction, isolate power and reduce distortion.
The 5-way gold-plated binding posts let you connect your speakers any which way you choose: bare wire, banana plugs, spades, round pins or flat pins. Not only does the gold plating give your system some bling, it also serves a more practical purpose: to resist corrosion and provide the best possible connection to your receiver.
Magnetically Held Perforated Metal Grilles
To protect the speaker innards from accidents, pets or curious fingers, the entire Verus line sports perforated metal grilles that let sound flow through unchecked, improving imaging and reducing high-frequency reflection. Hidden magnets hold the grilles in recessed baffles.
|Frequency Response||(+/- 3dB) 59-20,000 Hz -- (+/- 6dB) 54-22,000 Hz|
|Recommended Power||30-200 Watts|
|Tweeter||1" Custom Aperion ASR Tweeter|
|Woofer||5" Woven Kevlar Woofer with Aluminum Phase Plug|
|Enclosure Type||Anti-Resonant, Internally Braced, Rear Ported|
|Dimensions||13" H x 7.5" W x 9" D|
|Placement Location||Front Speakers, Surround Speakers|
You might also like:
- Our top-of-the-line Verus Grand Tower is your ticket into the show. Now you can bask in true-to-life sound at a price that keeps the experience sweet.
- The Verus Grand Center Channel speaker brings on-screen action to life in mid-size and larger rooms. But be prepared for the one-two punch of amazing sound and gorgeous looks. We're considering a whiplash warning.
- The new Intimus 5B Bookshelf is making a bid for even greater popularity than its predecessors, with the same small form factor and fulfilling sound but a newly shaved price.