More information for Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker Pair
What makes the Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker so effortlessly cool? Maybe it’s the artful way it combines larger than life sound with an inobtrusive12 inch tall cabinet. Flawless sound reproduction across its range comes from our 1" audiophile-grade silk-dome tweeter, 5.25" woven-fiberglass mid-woofer. We wrap up the sound in a handsome anti-resonant cabinet and put the final touch on with a high gloss piano black lacquer finish.
At this feel-good price, you can afford to upgrade your music or movie therapy sessions. And you can put the Intimus 5Bs on stands, your ceiling, wall or (call us crazy) bookshelf.
- 5.25" Woven-Fiberglass woofer delivers excellent bass and lush mid-range sound
- 1" custom designed silk-dome tweeter for smooth, clearly defined highs at even the highest volume levels
- Contoured front edges and small form-factor to blend seamlessly with your décor
- Hand-polished Gloss Black lacquer finish
- Anti-resonant cabinet
- Ten year warranty
- FREE SHIPPING - a $33 value per pair*
- FREE lifetime technical support
*Free shipping value is based on ground shipping costs from Portland, OR to New York, NY. Individual rates vary.
Customer Reviews For Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker Pair
- The Perfect Bookshelf David
- My brother in law is a Paradigm guy. He has a very expensive pair of bookshelves from them when I bought these. This is my second Aperion purchase. My speakers were around $300 less, and the sound quality is far superior in my opinion. With my AVR close to maxed out, there is zero distortion, and the highs never get ear piercingly uncomfortable. His speakers make me feel like my ears are going to bleed. The best part is, I could add more power to these bad boys. They really light up my sound stage, and I get some of the most subtle sounds that I never heard in my music before. I am currently using them as my fronts, so I use them for movies as well. They work perfectly! This really is an amazing speaker, and add that beautiful finish... Perfect! Thank you Aperion. (4/25/14)
- Astounding! Paul G.
- I have a pair of these that go along with a 5c, a pair of 4b surrounds and a Bravus II 8D sub. They are simply beyond belief! The sound that they produce is so pure and clear it has to be heard to be believed! The soundstage is immense as well. Whether listening to music or movies, they never fail to impress and put a smile on my face. They look as great as they sound with fantastic build quality and finish. I love the smooth rounded corners and edges. It is a work of art, for sure. The sound out of the box was good, but after the break in period-WOW! After almost 200 hrs, these babies are keepers. The staff at Aperion have been amazing and Jason Hicks helped me out with my setup immensely, never failing to respond to my endless chain of emails. Thanks Jason!
- Could not be Happier Dave M.
- I purchased these speakers alone with a center channel speaker back in April before the room they were going into was finished. I finally set up my surround sound. These speakers are awesome! The sound quality is fantastic. The craftsmanship is superior and the price is right. What else could you ask for? When the speakers were in transit to my house I received an email from customer service detailing all that they, the speakers, went through along their journey to me. I was taken back a bit as I never experienced that from other companies and probably never will. They did not need to do that however it went a long way as far as feeling important that I purchased through them. Not ever hearing the speakers before I was really hoping that they sounded great because the company seemed to care. All the reviews I read were extremely helpful in determining which center channel and front bookshelf speakers to purchase. I went with the Intimus 5C center speaker and the 5B bookshelf speakers for my front left and right and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for excellent crisp sound, quality material at a great price and very considerate and thoughtful customer service and they come with white gloves!
Dave, Holden Ma.
- Good things in small packages Mike C.
- I've had a lot of speakers over the years but these are some of the most natural sounding bookshelf speakers I've heard. The natural highs and mids make music and movies a treat. The bass doesn't disappoint. Although I've got the 5T towers in front in my 7.1 system I believe a 5.1 or 7.1 system built around these for the mains would not disappoint anybody. Well done Aperion on a well balanced affordable bookshelf.
- Great in home theater Drew F.
- I bought the 5Bs as part of a custom home theater setup... using them in the front left and right positions. They sound excellent and offer plenty of volume even in a mid-size to large/open room. Very crisp.
- Intimus 5Bs exceed expectations Tom F.
- I bought a pair of these a little over a year ago after receiving a notice that the cherry finish to match the 5C I purchased a year earlier (two years ago) was being discontinued. Had no idea these were so small, can handily fit anywhere on a bookshelf or the floor stands. These match (acoustically and finish) with the 5C and a Bravus 10D I originally purchased. They fill our family room, about 20x20 with full opening to the kitchen. I drive these with a Yamaha RX series AV amp and home theater system.
Have not experimented too much with the speaker placement, they were good to go out of the box. I made some adjustments to the Bravus output given the punch I (happily) notice in the low frequencies from the 5Bs. I run the amp 'processor direct' so no adjustments to EQ. When I get to it, the remaining pieces to finish this collection as a 5.1 system will be the rear in-wall speakers, presuming they are also well matched acoustically. I generally over-engineer the cables and I build my own, using 10-guage Dayton Audio rope-lay with these and Monster plugs purchased from PartsExpress.
Very happy, would recommend to most anyone whether looking for value/quality or even if price wasn't a determining factor. We gave all of the velvet blue bags we've collected to my wife's elementary school as a donation at Christmas.. make great Santa bags!
Staff has always been great with help before and after the sale. It's pretty apparent that they enjoy their work.
- Good sound. Robert S.
- As with the other Intimus Speakers, this one sounds very good. I use it as a rear surround to compliment 6Ts, 5DBs and a 6C. I offer only one criticism: the new finish just doesn't cut it. The older piano black finish was stunning and I only wish Aperion had kept it, at least as an option. My two bits worth.
- Great Speakers and Company! Kirk D.
- The gang at Aperion are fantastic, they answered all my questions even if they were repeat questions. The main reason I went with Aperion was the great reviews they recieve from the various Audiophiles out there and the price. I listened to several different manufacturers at Best Buy before the purchase and then went ahead and ordered the Aperions (cant go wrong with the return policy) That way I could here them in the home.
First I am not a Audiophile, second I live in an apartment and cannot really turn up the volume on the system that I have and third this is my first surround system, but here goes the review.
My system consists of the following
Fronts: Aperion 5Bs
Center: Aperion 5C
Surrounds: Aperion 5DBs
Sub: Aperion Bravus II 10 D
The speakers are pushed by a Denon 2310CI,
The system started out with the 5Bs and the 5C when I first set these up the entire wall seemed to fill with great sound and as the speakers broke in it just got better. They became richer and fuller with time.
Next came the 5DB Surrounds. I run these in bipole as the back of the area where I am at is open to the kitchen and this setting seems to fill that area without having to purchase a 6.1 or 7.1 system. Again great sound.
The final purchase was the Bravus II 10D, wish I didnt live in an apartment but thats the way it is for now. I have the sub set up at very low volume right now but it still gives me great bass and completes the system. I still have to get the position correct but I am getting there.
If anyone is looking for a home Theater system look no further then Aperion. They have fantastic customer service and their return policy (which I do not believe you will use is an added bonus). is for a 30 day in home trial. And dont forget if you want to upgrade within a year of your purchase you can trade in your old Aperions.
- Excellent performance, unmatched quality Scott H.
- I bought these speakers for my home theater system thinking that because of the price they would be great starter speakers... boy was I wrong. Forget starter speakers, they sound as good, if not better, out of the box (paired with the Bravus, of course) with minimal calibration than my brother's $5000 Definitive system. Every sound is crystal clear, even at low volumes. The build quality is excellent as well, the polished black is flawless. I am sure happy with these speakers and would recommend them to anyone.
One final note, I'm pretty sure I overbought on these speakers to fill my room which is 12ft x 15ft.
- ranges and clarity Licn_death
- Well to start off these are for MIDS and HIGHS ((ONLY)). when set up with the 5C center the 4B bipole surrounds and the 8D duel driver sub in a 15'X15' room the outcome was staggering I've set up systems ranging from 1500$ to 100,000$ and these rank right up there with the 100,000$ JBL system i set up in a to spec theater room about 1 year ago and all i can say about aperion audio is I will own aperion when i get my theater set up. Ok now for the review on the 5B bookshelfs the Mids are crisp and full the Highs are clear and the imaging is outstanding when matched up agenst Compression horns and titanium dome tweets these silk dome tweets are the winner even when i was pushing my brother to go with some compression horns so way to go Aperion you guys are true audio masters.
- Pretty darn good from 100 Hz and above. M W.
- First impressions: The specs don't lie, specifically the frequency response; the 5B's offer little audio output below 100 Hz and darn near absolutely nothing -- zip, zero, nada -- below 80 Hz.
The speakers were initially placed 20" from the rear wall and sounded so thin, so lean, I immediately began inching them back until, after several hours of break in, they were 1" from the wall. Any improvement in the reproduction of lower frequencies was minimal, however. A subwoofer is a necessary compliment for the 5B.
The other problematic issue is the (in)efficiency of the speaker. In our listening room, admittedly a largish medium-sized room, the 5B's offered a wimpy 82 db of volume, which is pretty weak. As a result, both music and movies requiring any kind of large scale audio will simply come up short, regardless of amp power or damping factor. The 5B is a small room speaker.
Those issues being addressed, the 5B's did impress in some areas. The build quality is quite good, for starters, though the hue of the cherry finish leans toward orange. From 100 Hz and up through the mid range the speakers initiated some hair raising and misty-eyed moments. Close-miked vocals were consistently breathy and intimate; the sound stage imaging seemed appropriately deep and wide. When this one-two punch was combined on potent recordings -- Iz, "Wonderful World" Cowboy Junkies, "I'm so lonesome" Johnny Cash, "Spiritual" Holly Cole Trio, "Everyday will be like a holiday" -- the hair stood and tears welled.
Magical listening moments aside, the lack of low frequency reproduction plus the inefficiency mean our 5B's must go back to Aperion.
- Good. But not a 6T Edward G.
- Everything in life is relative. Once one has had Grade B Vermont Maple Syrup, the darker much more tasty variety, then you'll never be satisfied with any other syrup for the rest of your life.
Or if you've ever brought home a few bottles of real first pressed, virgin olive oil that you bought directly from an Italian farmer, you'll snicker at every other store-bought label that makes that claim.
Likewise, with speakers. I started off with 4B's and I wasn't thrilled. Then I traded up to 5B's which were nice but not OMG wow fantastic. Then I made the ultimate plunge and went with the 6T's on the front speakers and used the other 5B's for the rear speakers.
I also traded up to the 6C centers which we're very happy with.
We've had these speakers for several months. I waited a long time before writing this review.
We're not audiophiles but we're hopeless movie addicts. We all take sight and sound very seriously.
After watching a number of recent high-quality Blu-Ray movies with uncompressed sound over the past few months, I realized that the rear 5B's didn't seem all that fantastic. So I put the speaker wires from one rear 5B into the front 6T and played the end of 'Inglorious Basterds'. I listened to the scene where the machine guns are firing down and the spent shells are making sharp metallic clicking sounds.
On the 6T, each shell could clearly be heard. On the 5B I heard a lot of sound but not the distinctive clarity of metal hitting metal.
Doing a sanity check, I asked my wife what she thought. Trust me, if she doesn't recognize a difference she isn't going say so to please me. She's the one that insisted on getting the front 6T's to begin with. She listened and immediately stated that she could readily discern an appreciable improvement in sound quality from the 6T.
My wife asked what other tower options did we have. I read her the prices. She stated that she didn't want anything less than what we already had so it looks like we're going to get another set of 6Ts.
Once we realized what we've been missing all along, we upgraded the Blu-Ray player and bought a number of Blu-Ray movies that were highly rated for sound quality in Blu-Ray.com.
All of the movies that I buy have uncompressed sound or TrueHD. Make certain that when you play the movie to go into setup and change the audio quality up to uncompressed (it's not the default setting). With the Aperion speakers, you can't help but notice the big improvement in sound quality. In our case, the sound is truly better than a movie theater.
We don't make purchases lightly. What we buy we use for many years. We don't have the money to replace items on a whim. I expect to keep these for a long time.
There are 2 reasons why you might not want to go this route: 1. You live in an apartment or too close to a neighbor where the appropriate amount of sound could be considered a disturbance.
- Best I've ever had Shannon S.
- I've had my 5B's for over a year now and they still amaze me. I use them as front channels along with a 5C in my 5.1 setup. I watch a lot of action/scifi and these speakers never disappoint. I had some friends over to watch "Transformers" a while back and saw their reaction (mouths hanging open in ah:). But the way I enjoy my 5B's most is in 2 channel, listening to accoustic music with good vocals. They'll knock your socks off!
- SO much sound! Gregory K.
- There's a part of me that is actually fortunate that my sub arrived 2 days after the rest of my speakers (separate order). For bookshelves, these are astounding in their response. Their quality is absolutely top-notch, and I'm getting a ridiculous amount of compliments on both the look and sound. Beware, though! By buying these, you'll likely find out how poor some of your source material was recorded in! :-) I truly thought there was something wrong, when it turns out that the speakers were simply showing me the flaws in the recordings. Bravo!!
- A lot for the money Joshua R.
- I wasn't sure at first about getting aperion audio speakers but after lots of research, I finally took a chance on an aperion audio system. I chose the 5B for the front channels and i'm very impressed with the sound I got for the price I paid. There are few speakers out there that can match the sound for this price range.
- 5B as surround speakers, a really wise choice Eric B.
- So I consider myself wise... But I had to remind myself to breath when listening to my first movie over Aperion. I was astonished by the entire sound the system brought me (6T in front, 10D, 5B in the back). Now I look at my friends face when they hear the shooting part in The Matrix 1 and I have to tell them to breath as well... Aperion Rocks, great sound, great faces to see on newbies!
Eric, Montreal, Canada
- Powerful, clean - completely satisfied! Adam H.
- I was skeptical about going with a bookshelf home theater system, concerned that I would be sacrificing range/power by not going with full range tower speakers. Well, lets just say that's not an issue. I have two 5Bs in the front, the great center channel 5C and 4Bs in the back (and an aperion sub to round it out). The system is spectacular and the 5Bs, especially, reproduce music, movies, anything I can throw at it better than I ever imagined.
Aperion customer support and the ability to trade-up with 100% credit towards upgraded speakers makes this an easy choice! The whole ownership experience is a special one with Aperion. Few companies make you feel this way about the total experience.
- All that sound... from a 1' tall speaker? Trevor L.
- Old school thinking for me used to be: little speakers = little sound. Not so here. I'm still waiting for my 5Bs to break in, but my goodness, it does sound great. I'm no means an audiophile, though I can tell good, clean sound from not. Speaker finish is beautiful (went w/ the glossy black); it matches my Pioneer TV, as well as the PS3/Blu-Ray player! Sound is a bit more mellow than I'd like; I've added a bit of treble at the receiver since I like my highs a bit brighter. Great speaker!
- Life comes to my Living Room Garreth M.
- Intimus 5B speakers paired with 10" sub and 5C Center Channel have been nothing short of spectacular. With closed eyes I could believe there was a jazz pianist in my living room. When I fired up the system my wife walked into the room with a look of amazement. Watching movies has never been so exciting. I did have to reposition the sub-woofer because the rattling of the windows was bothersome. The consumer experience with Aperion Audio has been without a flaw. Love my system!
- World class speakers that anyone can enjoy. daniel l.
- Aperion sells their products online direct which allows them to offer you a beautfiul product at a beautitul price. Aperion does business the right way. They offer world class customer support that is a mouse click or phone call away. They offer you a no questions asked 30 day in home trial period with free shipping both ways. Aperion doesn't ask questions and they do not pressure you. I say this because I am aware that there are people out there that get nervous when it comes to online sales. Rest assured, you can feel 100% confident that you are going to be taken care of when doing business with Aperion!
My products: 5B Bookshelves, 5C Center and 4B Bookshelves.
I thought long and hard about how I was going to present my review and then I thought, heck, I'm not an audiophile who spends his life testing speakers and such. So I figured I would lay it out plain and simple for the layman. Look, you are not going to be able to find a product as nice as this at your local big box electronic store. In fact you are really doing yourself a disservice if you were to purchase your speakers from them. Plus they don't offer you 100% value trade up policy. What I'm getting at here is Aperion offers a build quality, that is unlike anything I've ever seen at a store, let alone in this price range. The Piano black finish is just impeccable, stylish, sophisticated and 5 times more that one would expect at this price level.
I have to be careful when juding sound quality however, because sound quality is subjective. In respect to the direction I want to take in this review I will just say the speakers sound crystal clear, get loud, extend out into the room, offer excellent imaging and create a dynamic and realistic soundstage. You can also crank these speakers up to levels where lesser speakers would give in. I personally love the way my Aperion Speakers sound and have yet to hear any speakers that sound considerably better. You could listen to a hundred pairs of "high quality" speakers, some costing considerably more, and have a different opnion on each. Some you may like and some you may not. Therefore, while I won't garuntee you will love the way the speakers sound to you, I will garuntee that if you purchase Aperion you will be getting a high performance, high quality speaker made with only the finest components. Be rest assured that this quality is found throughout Aperions entire line of speakers.
This review is too long to be published here. If you would like to see the full review, read it here.
- Outstanding value, build, and of course... sound quality. Rama R.
- I am extremely impressed with my new Intimus 4B. First off, the build quality is amazing. The piano black glossy finish resembles a work of art; anybody would be proud to display these in their homes.
Each speaker also weighs more than you think given their diminutive profile, further suggesting at their top notch build quality.
I tested these with my 45 Watt Jolida integrated tube amp what a terrific surprise. Very transparent musicality for all types of recordings. Vocals were crisp with no undetectable layers. I am positive that over time, they will sound better and I look forward to my next set from Aperion.
Naturally, these speakers will not have the midrange or bass extensions of a tower or much larger bookshelf speaker, but they put out terrific sound for the money. I just ordered a new Aperion Center and have situated the Intimus Bs as my surroundstOne of my best purchases ever!
- 5.1 Intimus system Trevor F.
- I recently purchased the 5.1 Intimus Harmony system. I first had the sub sitting on a flat wall on the side of the room. I wasn't pleased with the sound... did a little research here and found that up front was the ideal location. I didn't want to put it up front but when I did... HOLY COW what a difference. The remote is awesome. Some TV shows have more bass, some movies need more bass. It's very functional and almost too much for my medium to small room. The craftsmanship is spot on and what can I say, it came in a Velvet bag!
- Huge Sound in Small Package Misty P.
- I use these speakers as surrounds coupled with the 5Ts and a 5C. Wow, they are a great sounding set of speakers. They would work well as fronts in a smaller room. Very precise audio and worth every penny.
- wall speakers Paul H.
- amazing quality, crisp and clear our previous speaker were good, at least i thought they were, but when i heard the sound from our new speakers, it was like night and day.
beautiful looking and great sound, cant get better than that.
- Very nice ARAVIND V.
- The 5B compliments my 5C center speaker. They are amazing in every aspect. Style, Sound, Satisfaction. It has all the three SSS i look for. I bought these with the stand and wall mount, and they are perfect and nicely done. Overall aperion is the best.
- Third time's a charm Joe H.
- Bought the Bose 3-2-1 and hated it, sent it back after 3 minutes of testing. Ordered Definitive Technology, but the customer service experience was soooo bad I had to get Amex involved. The entire Aperion experience from the easy-to-navigate website, super-helpful live chat (informative but not pushy) to the sound meter and white glove included with the system just blew me away. I hadn't even hooked them up and I'm a lifelong customer. Then I hooked them up. Wow. Simply Wow. Rich, textured, balanced-- just perfect. Don't forget to do a search for discount codes-- I got a free center speaker with my system!
- Great Speakers Peat A.
- I bought a pair of 5Bs for my office, and I don't think I could be happier. They sound great, they look great, and I think they're a good value on both counts.The cabinets are very well built -- heavy, solid, good color and grain, nicely finished. They're smaller than I thought they would be, but I consider that a point in their favor. Some earlier speakers' cherry finish was a little too orange for some people, but these look great and pass The Wife Test with flying colors. The sound is fantastic. I upgraded from a pair of Axiom M3Tis -- good speakers, but not this good! I hate audiophile style descriptions of what things sound like, so all I'm going to say is that I'm a very happy camper, and I think I definitely got my money's worth. If you have the extra $s and really want to build a beautiful system for a small room, pair the 5Bs with a Bravus 8D. They compliment each other perfectly, and sound better together than a couple of floor standing speakers in the same price range!
- Highly refined but Big sound speaker James A.
- I previously had the 532-LR's as my fronts and opted to exchange them for the 5B's after reading about how much better they were. So I took the plunge and all I can say is one word "HOLY WOW". The high frequencies are much much smoother with the new tweeter and is not harsh like the 532 can be at higher volumes. The difference in the high frequencies is heard right out of the box and even at lower volumes, but it is very noticable at higher volumes. Bass response out of the box seems to be equal to the broken in 532's, and projects the lower frequencies with a greater soundstage than the 532's. (same goes for the highs as well) If anything the bass seems a bit more responsive as a result of the new cone material I suppose. In an overall comparison the look of the 5B is more refined than the 532. They are taller and thinner than the 532 giving a more refined look in my opinion. The edges are now curved instead of an edge like on the 532, and of course the black piano finish still looks great on both speakers. The soundstage is definitely greater with the 5B's projecting the sound in a wider area giving a realistic 3D type sound field. So far I am extremely happy with the 5B's and I know anyone else who is a current customer will also too. If you are new to this company and are looking at these speakers for your system look no further. Aperion is a 1st CLASS COMPANY with 1st CLASS PRODUCTS!! These speakers are made of 1" High Density Fiberboard and furniture grade materials truly unmatched by any manufacturer at the same price. Try these speakers out and I guarantee you will love them!! Jim from RI
Write Your Own Review
Pro Reviews For Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker Pair
- Home Theater Review of the Intimus 5B
- "There is an awful lot to like about Aperion Audio's Intimus 5B bookshelf loudspeaker, especially at $430 per pair. The build quality is superb, as is the attention to detail, such as threaded mounting points both top and back. The drivers are of high quality and the resulting sound is one that is easy to love and listen to for hours on end. "
--Andrew Robinson, Home Theater Review, April 2013
Read Full Review
- About.com Reviews the Intimus 5B Bookshelf and the Bravus 8A Subwoofer, March 2010
- About.com Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
"The 5Bs had a very satisfying sound, good for easy or critical listening. The silk dome tweeter was crisp with plenty of detail but no edginess, and the midrange sounded open and transparent with very good dynamics."
"The Intimus 5Bs are great for a modest, yet robust stereo system. That is, a modest price and a robust sound. Pair them with a receiver with 75-100 watts per channel and the Bravus 8A for a classy and affordable stereo system, or wall-mount the 5Bs as surround speakers in a home theater system."
- Gary Altunian, About.com Guide, March 2010
See the full review
- CNET Named Intimus 5B Harmony SD #3 on "Best Home Theater Speakers" List, July 2009
- System includes the Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker.
"Aperion's awesome 5.1 speaker system is pricey, but the Intimus 5B Harmony SD's great sound and superb build quality are definitely worth it."
- John P. Falcone, CNET.com, July 2009
See the full list
- Audioholics 5B Review (4.5 out of 5), July 2009
- "There is little not to like about the Intimus 5B bookshelf speaker system. The Intimus 5Bs have the ability to disappear into a room thanks to their excellent imaging capabilities and very detailed open sound. Aperion Audio proved in droves that they could combine great sound, aesthetics (score one for the wives) and build quality into a compact package that most budding audiophiles can afford. Although the color options offered are limited, Aperion Audio chose the two most commonly requested colors (cherry and gloss black) and masterfully executed the fit and finish of the cabinetry making these pieces of furniture that just happen to sound really good. Mated with a powered subwoofer, you've got audiophile performance and aesthetics on the cheap. Considering their very liberal return policy, FREE 30 day home trial program and FREE shipping (both ways) I can't say anything else other than highly recommended!"
Performance: 4.5 out of 5
Value: 4.5 out of 5
- Gene DellaSala, Audioholics.com, July 2009
Read Full Review
- Enjoy the Music Budget Speaker Shootout Review of the 5B
- "First impressions of the Intimus 5B is that they are extraordinarily well built, and boast a fit & finish that would not be out of place on speakers four times their price."
"...they delivered enough detail to be lively, but weren't so ruthlessly revealing as to spoil it. Vocals were excellent across the board on the Aperions as Natalie Merchant sounded great on Tigerlily, as did Brian Johnson on Back in Black. Electric guitars had plenty of grit and impact. The 5Bs can rock!"
- Clarke Robinson - enjoythemusic.com, May 2009
See the Full Shootout
- CNET 5B Harmony SD Review - Featuring the Intimus 5B
- The low throb of the ship's engines in the back of the home theater gave the impression the small rear Intimus 5B surround speakers were large floor-standing models. In other words, the bass didn't seem to come from the sub; it filled the entire room.
- Steve Guttenberg - CNET.com, May 2008
Read Full Review
1" Audiophile-Grade Silk-Dome Tweeter
We engineered the 1-inch, audiophile-grade, silk-dome tweeter for optimal sonic performance—even at the highest volume levels—so you savor warm, natural sound with no harsh aftertaste. This tweeter’s unique venting system uses a rear chamber with multiple rear vents outside the neodymium magnet, a departure from conventional systems that use a single vent through the magnet’s center. Leaving the magnet fully intact results in a stronger motor structure with a lower resonant frequency, smooth response and amazingly pure, authentic sound. This tweeter is the high point of our speaker—literally.
5.25" Woven Fiberglass Mid-Woofer
Our custom 5.25" mid-woofer excels as the heart and soul of our 5B loudspeaker. The cone is constructed of woven fiberglass—lightweight, rigid and ready to amaze you with its natural bass output. Embracing the woofer is a butyl rubber surround, which creates a compliant yet well-damped suspension that will deliver a lifetime of performance. Lastly (only because something had to be), the magnetically shielded driver boasts a cast aluminum frame and remarkable frequency response. If this all sounds like Greek to you, we’ll translate: You’ll be delighted.
Simulated Furniture-Grade Finish
Each of our speakers is beautifully finished in top-quality Cherry Wood or Black Ash simulated wood-grain vinyl that’s the best you’ll see on any speaker, anywhere, at this price. The cabinetry unites the acoustic qualities of the most expensive loudspeakers with an eye-brightening aesthetic that lets these speakers blend effortlessly into any décor.
Every Intimus 5B cabinet is made of solid 15 mm-thick medium-density fiberboard (MDF) to eliminate unwanted cabinet vibrations that muddy the sound. Muting the speaker walls ensures that the only input to your ears comes from your music, movies and games.
5-Way Gold-Plated Binding Posts
When you make a connection, it's all about convenience. Whether you use banana plugs, bare wire, round pins, flat pins or spades, our binding posts ensure effortless attachments to your new speakers. And though the gold plating may make you feel regal, it has a practical purpose too: Gold resists corrosion and provides the best possible connection to your receiver.
Acoustically Transparent Grille
Nothing stands between you and exceptional sound. We designed a sonically invisible grille that not only looks great, but also protects your precious speakers from curious fingers, claws, snouts, tentacles and trunks.
Wall & Ceiling Mounting
Mount your speakers wherever you want—out of the way and outside the reach of inquisitive children and pets. All 5B speakers come with dual 1/4" threaded inserts on the back for ceiling or wall mounting. Industry standard spacing on these inserts means they'll work with a variety of wall and ceiling mount brands.
Bookshelf Mounting Options
All 5B speakers come with a 1/4" threaded insert on the bottom for securing to a bookshelf or speaker stand. Now you can mount your speakers wherever you want without worrying about them toppling over on Rover.
|Frequency Response||(+/- 3dB) 80Hz to 20,000Hz -- (+/- 6dB) 68Hz to 20,000Hz|
|Recommended Power||25-200 Watts|
|Tweeter||1" Audiophile-grade Silk-Dome Tweeter|
|Woofer||5.25" Woven-Fiberglass Mid-Woofer|
|Enclosure Type||18mm MDF, Ported|
|Dimensions||12" H x 6.75" W x 8" D|
|Placement Location||Front speakers, surround speakers|
You might also like:
What do we call the compact version of the Grand Tower? The Verus Grand Bookshelf--and just as you'd expect, you get big-as-life sound in a stylish small cabinet.
- Middling in size and anything but in sound, the Intimus 5T Tower speaker delivers the gamut of music and theatrical sound with authority and efficiency.